history of The Church of The Good Shepherd, cont.
Settlements of the English, Irish, Germans and Italians developed
throughout the South. Bishop Quintard sent The Reverend James
Junius Vaulx to the Chelsea area of Memphis where he began a mission
in the home of Mrs. Wood. This was to be known as The Church of
The Good Shepherd. Founding of the mission, and at the direction
of The Reverend Vaulx, Good Shepherd attained full parish status
During the years of mission status, The Church of The Good Shepherd
had undertaken the obligation of assisting The Canfield Asylum,
formation and maintence of The Refuge of Good Shepherds (February
8, 1869), St. Savior's Mission and St. Andrew's Mission.
foundation of The Refuge of The Good Shepherd in 1869 was originally
located near Gayoso Bayou in an old boat house and, later in the
part of the old city hospital at Front (Shelby) and Exchange streets.
The refuge served immigrants to Memphis. This mission was a manifestation
of the "Social Gospel" which had not yet become generally
accepted. This endeavor was to catch on and be worked much later
by Salvation Army, Hull House in Chicago and other social settlements
12-15 years later. <next>